Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Recipe: Carbonara

Today I made a dish that a lot of my friends are already very familiar with - carbonara. It's easy to make in large or small quantities, generally tasty to a wide range of people, cheap, and a lot of different things can be added to it.

Anyways. Here's the basic recipe...

Pasta (I never measure anything for this recipe and it usually works out anyways - it is very generous)
Turkey Bacon (can use real bacon, but I've preferred turkey for a while now)
Eggs
Spices

You'll want to cook the bacon, and the pasta. Doing so at the same time is acceptable. Bacon crunchiness is variant - I prefer mine not so crunchy, but it's really up to the individual.

(I usually use elbows as my pasta.)

After the pasta is done, strain it, remove the pot from the burner, and put the pasta back in. Crack and add 1-3 raw eggs, based on the amount of pasta you have and how egg-y you want it to be. Toss in the bacon and mix thoroughly. The heat of the pasta will cook the eggs to an appropriate degree.

At this point, you want to add spices and, possibly, some olive oil. I generally use some combination of seasoned salt, pepper, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes, and add a little olive oil to make it a little less dry if necessary. I'd advise you experiment with amounts and types of spices on your own.

And, now, things to add. My personal favorite is to add mushrooms and saute them with the bacon before adding either. You can try just about any sort of additional meat or vegetable, and mixing up the sort of noodles you use will also provide some interesting results.

Let me know if you try anything cool in your carbonara! Also, if you have any suggestions as to things I should cook, read, or write about, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment