Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Artist Review: The Ponyverse

I'm vaguely reformatting the blog again. Instead of set things for each day, I'm just going to post whatever I want every day! I will try to keep varying things as much as possible.

Also, I'm going to put a pun at the bottom of every post. Why? Because puns are awesome, that's why!

Anyways. Today's artist review is a little odd. Instead of reviewing a single artist, I'm reviewing the general feel of artists within a very specific sphere - the Ponyverse!

So, what's the Ponyverse? Well, for those of you are unaware, the current iteration of the show My Little Pony is very, very popular among people outside of the target audience of young girls. There is a large contingent of young adults, usually known as Bronies, who love the show. Reasons vary. I know I mostly like it because it has a lot of subtle humor that is obviously intended only for adults. It's also super cute and happy and all that stuff.

Anyways. The Ponyverse is the huge collection of fan-created things that relate to My Little Pony. It's largely dominated by Bronies, because they have the ability to create said things and put them on the Internet, the primary repository of Ponyverse artifacts.

Today, then, is all about the musical part of the Ponyverse.

To begin with, go here. This should give you an idea of just how much music we're looking at. There's also a wiki that can give you a good idea of just how many people there are making this stuff. Hint: it's a lot!

How to describe the musicians of the Ponyverse, then?

First, the majority of music in the Ponyverse consists of remixes. There are definitely a lot of very good original songs, but the majority - at least, the majority of what I've listened to, as I certainly haven't listened to the entire archive - are remixes of songs from the show, or pony remixes of unrelated songs.

Second, the majority of the music is quite happy and whatnot. All of the people making it like My Little Pony, after all, and even if the show is good, it's still primarily a little kids show. I'm no longer sure where I'm going with this, but the point still stands. Here's a link to distract you!

After posting the last link, I have a better idea. The song in the link is from the show. Here's a dubstep remix of the song. And here's the same dubstep remix with original video. And here's the song performed by a bunch of famous artists from the Ponyverse.

Kind of great that there are so many good to fairly good versions of the same song, huh?

So, yeah, I think I'm done. Here are some links to some other good songs from the Ponyverse: Pinkie's Brew, Dubstep Dishwasher, Lost on the Moon, and Awoken. In this span, there's some good techno, a polka-ish song, pop, and straight-up dubstep. Four songs, four genres. Score?

And done. Hope you enjoyed the post, and please give the music a shot. Even if you're not a brony, some of it is still damn good music.

Pun of the Day: After you tuna fish, it won't be flounder or swordfish!

P.S. ~ If you want updates on when I post and whatnot, follow me on Twitter at HPBEggo.

No comments:

Post a Comment