Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Things on Kickstarter 2

Since I won't have the ability to publish anything this Friday or next Monday, for the moment I'm going to keep my schedule to four posts a week. No idea what will be on Tuesdays in the future, but for now this day has been taken over by Kickstarter!

So, without further ado, here are some cool things on Kickstarter that launched since my last post!

DNAME

First, they ship you a DNA kit. You use it, ship it to a laboratory, and they use the results to determine what portions of your DNA can be used to identify you.

Unfortunately, I'm not describing the cherished corporate police state that we all long for, with its mandated DNA tests and universal identification cards. What I'm describing is way cooler: a bracelet!

This project is all about taking something that uniquely identifies you - in this case, a subset of the DNA that is used for identifying people in, say, a murder trial - and putting it on something that looks good, will last forever, and that you can carry around with you - in this case, a bracelet.

As vaguely described above, to get one of these miraculous objects you first have to take a DNA test and ship the kit around a little. The eventual result is a very nice-looking metallic bracelet with two separate, fairly long strands of DNA base pairs engraved on it.

It's seriously cool that anyone is offering this, and way cooler that they're offering it through Kickstarter, which has a history of not being able to offer too many personal, unique items. Price is a little high at 150 euros - as to be expected, considering each has to be made separately and from good materials - but I know I'm getting one. Maybe two.

And if I ever lose mine, at least I won't have any trouble convincing the police that it's mine when it gets turned in!

Rubber Band Machine Gun

Speaking of corporate police states, this next project is all about giving you something that might be out of reach for people living in one - a machine gun! It shoots rubber bands, which are, as per expert testimony, 20% cooler than bullets.

If you really doubt the possibility of a machine gun that shoots rubber bands, I have to ask you to watch some of the videos on the project page. This thing is a monster. I would not want to be pelted by one, and I can't think of many people who would.

Honestly? This one just sells itself, so I'm going to stop typing, except to say that if you've ever wanted a machine gun that shoots rubber bands, you've found a way to get one. Have mercy. Or don't. I probably don't know you, so I guess I don't really care.

The Zombie Map

Unfortunately, this project isn't about a map that will show the location of all zombies near you (infinitely useful during a zombie apocalypse!). It also doesn't show you where to acquire zombies, or where to get the stuff to make a zombie. It probably won't point you in the direction of anything even remotely zombie-like.

I guess I just can't recommend this medical-chart themed poster describing various sorts of zombies.

Wait, what? It's a map. It shows types of zombies, organized in a proper taxonomy. The map flows from out of a brain and is drawn entirely on neurons. And it's 2'x3'.

Am I stupid, or does that sound like it belongs on your wall?

Aurora

The final project I can recommend you go look at brainwashes you in your sleep.

Well, not quite. It's actually a headband that syncs with your mobile phone and uses EEG monitoring and electrical impulses to brainwash you in your sleep.

No. Wait. No brainwashing. It helps you achieve a state of lucid dreaming. Very different. Right?

Aurora is a headband. It's cool and stuff, and monitors your brain while you sleep. It can use noises and electrical impulses to make you realize you're dreaming so you can do whatever you want while you do so!

I don't really buy into a lot of that. I'm sure it's cool or what-have-you, but I'd rather have my brain dream up some dreams for me - it certainly has more experience than I do.

What I do find really, really awesome here is that it can monitor your brainwaves so as to not wake you up when you're in the middle of a REM cycle. You know when you wake up after tons of sleep and are still groggy? This will FIX that. It's awesome. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to pay a large sum of money for that feature, and only that feature. Everything else is just icing. Or cheddar. I'm thinking cheddar. Because icing is disgusting. Seriously. Cake would be so much better without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment